Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible bug while using -sY -PY and --data-length.

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:10:18 -0500

José,

Thank you for the bug report. This is an unfortunate consequence of
the way that --data-length is implemented. TCP does not specify a
payload length in the header, and UDP specifies the length once. SCTP,
on the other hand, specifies the length of each chunk individually;
the SCTP INIT chunk that is sent to accomplish the port scan is one,
and then any random data that is sent because of --data-length is
interpreted as a second chunk.

I've attached an image of how Wireshark decoded one packet from my
machine with these same options.

A solution would be to interpret the --data* options as referring to
one of the 15 valid chunk types and then fill in the correct length
and payload. This is not really a high priority for me, since the
--data* options are not part of the core port scanning functionality
of Nmap, but we would welcome a patch that would fix the invalid
packet situation.

Dan

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 2:14 PM, José Maria Foces Vivancos