Nmap Development mailing list archives

Device eth6

From: Michael Szpakowicz <spok3161 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 12:57:19 +0200

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a new user of Nmap, and I have run into a recurring error:

dnet: Failed to open device eth6

I am running Windows 8.1 with a 64 bit processor, and I tried running Nmap
(and Zenmap) as an administrator, as well as disabling UAC, yet I still get
the same error. I have over-viewed two similar cases, in which the users
have forgot to run the program as administrator. I suspect that this may
have something to do with the WinPcap. I had a small amount of trouble
updating to the newest version, as some application was using it and
preventing the install. In the end, I added a .old extention to wpcap.dll
and packet.dll, which then allowed me to complete both installations. The
first of which, though, generated an error (which I cannot recall) yet
still finished successfully. Besides that, I have no clue what is going on,
and how to fix this. Do you?

- Spok

Postscript
I apologize beforehand if this is not the mailing list  for these types of
emails.