Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Basing timeouts in NSE on host.times.timeout

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:45:40 -0500

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM, <nnposter () users sourceforge net> wrote:

I am running into issues where http.post() calls are timing out. I have
traced the root cause to the newly implemented stdnse.get_timeout().

By bumping up min_timeout in stdnse.get_timeout() I was able to observe
that this particular read requires about 2200ms.

It makes me wonder whether it is appropriate to derive read timeouts
from RTTs.

nnposter,

You are correct, and I should have considered this. I just (r33680) changed
the way these timeouts are applied, so this should be taken care of. Now
comm.lua uses the rtt-based timeout only as a connect timeout; the read
timeout is the connect timeout plus an additional 6 seconds. This should
take care of http.lua, since it uses comm.lua functions without specific
timeouts (except for http.pipeline_go(), but I'm working on that...).

Dan