Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: JSON Output Format

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 03:17:42 -0700

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Casey Dunham <cdunham () gnosis-security com>
wrote:

Greetings,

Would there be any interest in a JSON output format if I contributed the
code? It looks like the output code would need to be cleaned up a bit to
accommodate it.

The JSON output would resemble the XML output with regards to the keys and
values.

While I am using the XML output, I would prefer  to work with JSON.

Hi Casey. Perhaps the first step would be creating an XSL or a small script
for converting Nmap XML results into JSON.  This might be similar (in
concept) to the one we have for converting XML results to HTML.  If that
proves popular, we could consider adding more native support.  But
supporting multiple output formats is a huge pain, and it is hard to change
or remove them without annoying all the people who use a given output
format, so we're very selective in what we support.  We have Nmap's normal
output for humans to read, plus XML for machine parsing and/or converting
to other output formats.  We have "grepable format" too, but that's been
deprecated for many years.

Cheers,
Fyodor