Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap OS detection

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:35:38 +0200

15.09.2014 18:31, Sebastian Brestin:
Hello world,

I have encountered some difficulties when trying to detect OSes using nmap
and I am not sure if it is from the network routing tables, not compiling
nmap as it should be or from my newbie like usage.

Running *nmap -sUT -v -6 -T4 -O -F ipv6addr* fails to determine the OSes
like: ubuntu, hpux and aix. Ubuntu is detected when I run nmap from
different machine(than the first one) against it. Also I noticed that
scanning the local machine with nmap always fails to determine the OS. Not
sure why.

I am more concerned about the ipv6 situation, since scanning on ipv4 nmap
identifies the ubuntu, hpux and aix correctly.

Any help or suggestions are well welcomed.

-sgb

Hello,

Please read up on OS detection here:

http://nmap.org/book/osdetect.html