Nmap Development mailing list archives

ndiff shebang changes when installing from source nmap

From: Thomas Bouve <crahan () n00 be>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 13:17:52 +0200

Hi,

I was wondering what the reasoning is behind changing the shebang line in the ‘ndiff' script when compiling and
installing nmap from source.

The ‘ndiff' script found in ‘nmap-6.46/ndiff/scripts/ndiff’ has '#!/usr/bin/env python’ set as the first line. But
after running './configure; make; make install' the installed ’ndiff' script has a different shebang. In my case it’s
changed to '#!/Users/crahan/.pyenv/versions/2.7.8/bin/python’ (I use pyenv for testing Python projects).

It’s puzzling to me, especially since the ‘ndiff.py’ script which ‘ndiff’ calls still points to '#!/usr/bin/env python’
after installation.

It’s probably by design. But I’d love the hear the reasoning for this.

Thanks for any insights in the matter!

Thomas