Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Speeding up scans that are slow due to wrong rate limiting detection

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 02:48:19 -0700

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 01:48:09PM +0200, Jacek Wielemborek wrote:
I had this conversation with David and later with Daniel and I wanted to
spark up more discussion here now. About a month ago, I discovered by
mistake that it is possible for Nmap to slow down to a ridiculous pace
when the rate limiting detection (RLD) algorithm detects enough drops,
which can happen on longer scans [1]. After discussing this with other
developers, here are possible solutions to this problem:

1. Fix the rate limiting detection algorithm. I heard that David tried
that and it turned out to be too dificult due to scan_engine.cc
complexity (and from what I already learned about this file, I can
definitely believe that).

It's not really because of code complexity (though code complexity
doesn't help); it's because I didn't know of a good algorithm to replace
it with. I tried a few things I thought of, and none of them worked
better.

Apparently I did a bunch of digging into the subject back in the day:
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/49

David Fifield