Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Showing TTL in default output

From: Jay Bosamiya <jaybosamiya () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 13:31:01 +0530

Otto,

I think I understand what you mean. However, correct me if I am wrong.

What you propose is that Nmap should just do an analysis of the TTLs
(after scan is done, not sending any extra packets) and then report to
the user if it finds any indication of a firewall (for example, "Note:
Due to the different TTLs in SYN-ACK and RST packets, Nmap has very
strong reason to believe that the target might be protected by an
external security device").

I think that this might be a nice addition to Nmap, especially since it
gives the user some extra information without having to do anything
extra. :)

I will look into this as time permits.

BTW, in http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2014/q3/33, John seems to be
suggesting the same (although for a different reason - for improving OS
detection).

Cheers,
Jay