Nmap Development mailing list archives

Zenmap Assistance

From: Aaron Stone <alstone () sbcglobal net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 21:23:20 -0500

My apologies for the direct approach, but I posted this to the nmap development threads and have yet to receive any

I generally use NMAP at work on a windows computer, but I at home I have been using it on my MacPro. I haven't used it
for a while, and needed to do an external scan of my network at work so I fired the Zenmap GUI app up. It started up as
 normal, asked me to authenticate and then exited. I poked around for a while on the threads and saw the fix for the OS
X 10.9 issue, which required deletion of a libxml2.2.dylib from the package. I dug into the package contents, down the
specified path and found, that package was not there so I figured that I may have the fixed build that was mentioned.

I have Version 6.46 of the Zenmap app running with System 10.9.4 build 13E28, with Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0. While
the symptoms are the same, the output when zenmap.bin is run from the terminal is the following:

/Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/MacOS/zenmap.bin
/Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/zenmap.py:179: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been
deprecated as of Python 2.6
Could not import the zenmapGUI.App module:
'dlopen(/Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/glib/_glib.so, 2): Library not loaded:
/Users/david/macports-10.5/lib/libffi.5.dylib\n  Referenced from:
/Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/glib/_glib.so\n  Reason: image not found'.
I checked in these directories:
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python26.zip
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/plat-darwin
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/plat-mac
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/plat-mac/lib-scriptpackages
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/lib-tk
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/lib-old
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip
    /Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages
If you installed Zenmap in another directory, you may have to add the
modules directory to the PYTHONPATH environment variable.

It would appear that:

/Applications/Zenmap.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/glib/_glib.so

is attempting to access a library located in a local directory called:

/Users/david/macports-10.5/lib/libffi.5.dylib\n

Some quick research* on the web suggests that running:

'sudo port selfupdate && sudo port upgrade outdated'

prior to build will "identify and the missing or mislinked files and rebuild the required port". I may be way off, so
if anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

-Aaron Stone

*http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22586157/library-not-loaded-opt-local-lib-libffi-5-dylib