Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Openssl CCS-Inject script - False positives and varying results across versions downloaded on 07/15 and 07/24

From: Claudiu Perta <claudiu.perta () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 10:27:01 +0100

I downloaded the ssl-ccs-injection.nse script from
http://www.nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/ssl-ccs-injection.html to validate that
one of our hosts vulnerability status.

Environment:
CentOS Host runs Node v 0.8.17 which comes with OpenSSL 1.0.0 (Clearly
Vulnerable)

*Iteration 1*:
*Step*:
Downloaded ssl-ccs-injection.nse on 07/15  and executed it

*Result*:
| ssl-ccs-injection:
|   VULNERABLE:
|   SSL/TLS MITM vulnerability (CCS Injection)
|     State: VULNERABLE

Flagged it as an issue and alerted the admin responsible to take corrective
actions as identified by CVE.

Time Flies...

*Iteration 2*:
*Step: *
Admin downloads script from location above and runs a scan

*Result:*
Flags no vulnerability

Out of curiosity, I diffed the scripts and found that there are some
significant differences.
[image: Inline image 1]

I need help in figuring out which of the outputs is valid (purely from CVE
perspective) Output of previous script is valid.

Just wanted to flag this as the script might just be around and more people
might be using it as time goes on.

Thanks for the report. So the changes were introduced as many people
reported false positives on non-vulnerable SSL/TLS implementations
different than OpenSSL, but, clearly, this is too restrictive. I'll test
all OpenSSl versions affected by the vulnerability, and, depending on the
results, the script could to either removed from nmap, or specify exactly
which OpenSSL versions are supported (and maybe a separate check could be
implemented in these cases).

Cheers,
--Claudiu