Nmap Development mailing list archives

Jacek's Status Report #5 of 13

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 17:54:15 +0200

Hello,

This is my report for week 5 of "Nsock-based port scanning"
Google Summer of Code project.

Accomplishments:

* Made my regression testing program re-build the relevant SVN
branches at each test,
* Renamed -sD to -sT in my nmap-nsock-scan branch,
* Read a few chapters of the "TCP/IP Guide" book related to TCP
congestion handling algorithms,
* Re-read RFC 2851,
* Had a meeting with my mentor,

* Experimented with a VM-based regression testing environment
which can be later used to trigger TCP congestion conditions.

At the moment, the VM setup consists of two Debian machines run
by Qemu using -net socket (VLANs emulated in userspace) and a
Scapy script that blocks all input from a given IP to prevent the
kernel from responding with RSTs and SYN+ACKs every incoming SYN
packet.

Priorities:

* Try to match the formulas from RFC on TCP Congestion Control to
Nmap's source code, identify the relevant variables and observe
Nmap's CC scheme,
* Implement probe retransmissions for the timed out connect()
attempts,
* Implement probe canaries and use them to detect drops.

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek