Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Nmap, Ncat] Odd Nsock bug related to ENETUNREACH

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 22:17:20 +0200

List,

While working on my prototype, I noticed that when you try to
make a connection that results in ENETUNREACH (tested by issuing
ncat 127.0.0.0 -w 1), Nsock blocks forever even if a timeout was
specified. This is probably because it performs a non-blocking
connect() and ignores any error codes other than EINPROGRESS or
EAGAIN, yet it schedules an event. Then, the main loop calls
engine's file descriptor watching function (epoll, select etc) on
an empty FD set, effectively waiting forever.

This affects NSE scripts as well. Create test.nse file with the
folowing code and run nmap --script test.nse -d 127.0.0.0 -sn:

local stdnse = require "stdnse"
local nmap = require "nmap"

hostrule = function()
  return true
end

action = function(host)
        stdnse.print_debug("test.nse started!")
        local sock = nmap.new_socket()
        local constatus, conerr = sock:connect("127.0.0.0", 80)
end

--END OF FILE

I believe that Nsock should run the connect handler immediately
when it detects the error, behaving in a way similar to other
error messages.

The box I tested it on is Fedora 20, kernel
3.14.2-200.fc20.x86_64. I can provide any further details if
needed.

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek

Interesting... I need to investigate this. I have added a new nsock
regression test. What I could observe is that the error is delivered,
but it breaks afterwards due to bad refcounts or something like this
(according to the engine you use). There's definitely something wrong
there.

I'll have a closer look as soon as time permits.

Regards

--
Henri

Should be fixed in r32993. The problem was that once the operation
(connect) has failed, the IOD is never marked as "active" anymore by
the I/O engines (which is totally normal), so the errors were, at
best, reported at shutdown (nsi_delete, nsp_delete...).

Early completed events are now handled even before nsock_loop() is
called. I think it's ok.

Regards

--
Henri