Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap "short" or "simplified" output?

From: Ryan Robson <ringo380 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 08:13:27 -0500

Heya,

I've had more trouble than I thought I would trying to find an answer to
this question, and it may really end up being more of a feature request,
but I could not track anything down to this effect in the documentation:

Is there a flag or option designed to simplify the output that nmap
provides? The example I've been using is dig's "+short", which just gives
you the basic response.

I realize that nmap provides output in a number of different of ways
depending on how you use it, and for my purposes I'm generally just working
with port status output, so I'm sure it's not a simple matter to implement
a single flag that applies to all of the different types of nmap output, I
understand entirely. This is totally a mild inconvenience and 100%
unimportant in the scheme of things, but it's just something I've always
wondered but have never been able to confirm. I can of course grep it down
easily, but I always like to learn what I can about what can be done in the
original application itself before piping out to other applications.

I appreciate any response you could give on this!

Thanks,

Ryan Robson