Nmap Development mailing list archives

nano probe vs NMap: quick questions

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler () tysdomain com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 00:46:24 -0400

Hello all:
I've long since came to the conclusion that Gibson is totally nuts and etc, but I've recently seen some comparisons to NanoProbe vs NMap, so i had a couple of questions. I've not used this--I was actually looking at it and just stopped reading after his jabber about this all being written in asm, but I think he does make one valid point under all the garbage: Being able to show end-users their vulnorabilities could be incredibly interesting and might, perhaps help with educating folks about internet security. Obviously hosting this on a remote server and having NMap run on any target could be exploited, but what are the chances of say using a cut-down form of NMap or something to allow a user to test his/her issues? Basically, I'm asking if somehow NMap and similar technologies could be somehow employed to help disclose vulnorabilities and help educate end-users.

I think internet security is a pretty vast field and for those who don't really want to learn a lot, it can be hard to educate people. But I believe the majority of people would really be concerned and want to learn more.

What sorts of projects exist currently to help do what I'm talking about? If there's nothing, any ideas on how something like this could be presented?
Thanks,

--
Take care,
Ty