Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: FW: urgent issue with ipv6 nmap scan

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:58:04 -0500

On 04/24/2014 12:50 PM, Angelina Fernandes wrote:
There was no Dos configuration. IPV6 scanning required the VM(source) from which scan was performed to have ipv6
address configured..
I can do a scan now. However it taking me lot of time to respond.
Scan of a single ipv6 with -6 and -Pn for all ports takes 202.50 secs. And I need to scan /64 subnet.
Any help to fasten this scan would be appreciated.
Angelina,

Scanning all ports will take a long time. At 203 seconds, you're averaging 322 ports per second. That's not bad. Scanning a /64 will take a *very* long time, since that's 64 bits of network address space, equivalent to 2^32 IPv4 /0 internets. You will not finish host discovery, and if you use -Pn you will be scanning thousands of ports on billions of hosts that do not exist.

Give our targets-ipv6-* scripts a try, or the ones from Raul Fuentes here: http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2013/q4/285

Dan