Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Resubmitting: Upgrade libpcap to 1.5.3

From: "Gisle Vanem" <gvanem () yahoo no>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 23:07:18 +0100

"Jay Bosamiya" <jaybosamiya () gmail com> wrote:

I sent the mail (the one below) earlier but it is not showing up on the archives. Maybe something with the patch being too large (800 KB) or something?

It seems the lack of response on your diffs (here on dev () nmap org) has
(1) something to with the size of your diffs. Almost 1 MByte uncompressed!
E.g. diffs of libpcap/scanner.c and libpcap/grammar.c are totally unneeded since those files are generated from libpcap/scanner.l and libpcap/grammar.y.

(2) Or. I don't know if you got some private replied to your patches. It's hard to tell
since the way this mailing-list is setup; there is no 'Reply-to:' header. Hence many mailers (including my good old Outlook Express) send a reply (by default) to the 'From:' (i.e. you) address. So a discussion could easily die out quickly.

(3) Since there's no bug-tracker, it's possible that good ideas and bug-report gets
 forgotten or simply ignored due to lack of time or interest from the maintainer(s).
Your guess is as good as mine.
But there are other important ideas here:
 http://nmap.org/soc/index.html

(not only at https://svn.nmap.org/nmap/todo/nmap.txt)

Especially the "parallelized Nmap's forward DNS". It would be nice to have C-ares, GNU-adns or some other DNS-lib do this. No need to reinvent the wheel. But maybe someone is afraid of yet another external dependency. I cannot see any
problem with that.

--gv