Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap's XSL headers ignored in Firefox

From: Claudio Moretti <flyingstar16 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 22:53:23 +0000

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:17 PM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>wrote:

 We could even add an option to copy the system XSL into the current
directory, since Nmap knows where it should be based on the installation.
Thoughts?

I believe the best thing would be copy the XSL in the directory where the
file is being created, i.e. in this case

nmap localhost -oX /tmp/nmap/file.xml

the folder is (obviously) /tmp/nmap/

A smart thing to do might be creating a unique XSL for every scan, so you
don't risk overwriting something that for some reason is called nmap.xsl
(not likely, but possible), something like nmap-$RandomString.xsl
I don't think 32K per scan are going to ruin anyone's disk space :P

Then you can use a relpath in the directory where the file is, and don't
have to go looking for it in the entire FS :)

Your --system-xsl flag for the previous behavior could restore the absolute
path, so you can make changes on the system XSL and see them reflected
instantly on any (--system-xsl*-ed*) file.

What do you think?

Claudio