Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat-test.py?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 19:41:15 -0800

On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 04:13:48PM +0100, Jacek Wielemborek wrote:
I did a bit of experimentation and wrote a first prototype of ncat-test.py.
It's currently just a proof-of-concept and has some kludges, but I wanted to
ask you guys if it's generally the direction we'd like to go for.

In case you wanted to take a look at the code before reading the rest of the
e-mail, it's in the SVN (nmap-exp/d33tah/ncat-test-py). You can also see it on
Github as I keep these two repositories in sync - the core (and currently the
only) file can be found here:

https://github.com/d33tah/ncat-test-py/blob/master/ncat/test/ncat-test.py

My Python demo has currently two tests implemented - one being the first one
from ncat-test.pl, which spawns "ncat -l" and tries to connect to it over IPv4
and IPv6, also using Ncat. The second test tests UDP IPv6 in pretty much the
same way. These two tests run concurrently. Tested under Python 2.6.6 (which
AFAIK can still be found on latest CentOS Linux), 2.7.5 and 3.3.2 under Fedora
19 (Linux). It seems to work under FreeBSD as well.

How do you plan to run multiple server tests in parallel? They all need
to listen on different ports. A proposal we had on the list, which I
think is a good one, is to add support for "ncat -l 0" to listen on any
free port, and have the listening port be written to stderr in a
machine-readable format so the test program knows what it is.

David Fifield