Nmap Development mailing list archives

Either a bug or just me being retarded...

From: Clinton Moore <clintonmoore () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:28:46 -0500

So, I use nmap a lot but I rarely have a need to output a different format
other than just debugging or verbose stuff, but I recently tried the -oG
option.  However, I didn't specify an actual file name like the man page
directed me to.  I know, I know...bad Clint.

Buuuut...by doing that it saw the next option flag as the actual file
name.  Which I am not too sure is that big of a deal but I feel like that
should be easy to detect and complain about.  I mean how many file names
start with a dash?

Also, and this is the really weird part, the flag after it just so happened
to be -e...so my output filename was -e but the specified interface (eth0)
was actually used, so it's like -e was also read as an option properly.
Unless the default interface is eth0 and I just tricked it into using that
interface when it shouldn't have been able to resolve it.  My primary
interface is eth1 for this experiment.

Now when the scan gets to running every time I ran one like this it
resolved TWO IPs!  The one I asked it to scan and 176.74.176.179.  Not too
sure if it interpreted my jacked up command into that IP or what, but I was
scratching my head till I realized what I had done.

BTW, I am using nmap version 6.40 64bit on Kali 1.0.6 and the command I ran
was:

nmap -p 1-1024 -T2 -sV --version-all -PN -A -vv -oG -e eth0 x.x.x.x

I know I ran it wrong, but I feel like it should have told me I was being a
goofy human and to go RTFM.

Thanks!