Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] All-Seeing Eye version detection and info

From: Marin Maržić <marzic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 22:32:16 +0100

Commit confirmed to be working great!

Happy New Year, have a great one,
Marin

On 1.12.2013. 23:00, Fyodor wrote:
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Marin Maržić <marzic () gmail com <mailto:marzic () gmail com>> wrote:

    The All-Seeing Eye was an application that would track game servers, display their status, etc. for various games.
    There is also the All-Seeing Eye protocol for querying game servers about their status, that various games had
    implemented so they could be queried for their status in a "standardized" way.

    The project and game server tracking program have been dead for a while, but game servers that had decided to use
    the protocol still seem to be responding to status queries from anyone (including Nmap :)).

    There were dozens of games that implemented ASE at the time, and the script has been tested on a few.

    These resources (included in the script's doc) list a combined total of ~15 games that use it:
    http://int64.org/docs/gamestat-protocols/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gameq/ (relevant files: games.ini, packets.ini, ase.php)

Thanks Marin, this helps a lot.  Given how many games this protocol is used for, it seems reasonable to put the
script and service probes in.  So I've done that in r32537.  I only made these changes:

- Changed service name from 'ase' to 'allseeingeye' to reduce ambiguity
- Changed script name accordingly (ase-info to allseeingeye-info)
- Remove script from "default" category so it doesn't slow down normal NSE UDP scans against machines where those
ports are "open|filtered".  If folks want it to run, they should enable version detection or they can list the script
by name or use a category like 'discovery'.

I don't have any of the relevant games handy and so I was only able to do a "mocked up" test.  Are you able to test
this change and ensure it is working fine?

Thanks again,
Fyodor