Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] ventrilo-info Ventrilo server version detection and info

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 20:51:42 -0800

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 09:25:19PM +0100, Marin Maržić wrote:
Say we somehow enumerate and list all the different version/OS
combinations into the nmap-service-probes file, and we get a match on a
line. The teamspeak2-version.nse script will always run for that service
because it's now been classified as "teamspeak2". That will overwrite
any match line findings with more detailed ones. Wouldn't match lines
indifferent to the version number do the job of "softmatching" for the
script better than the most likely incomplete (and non-elegant)
listing?

I must have lost track of something during the TeamSpeak version
detection discussion. You're right that we shouldn't have matchline and
a version script that do the same thing. We should only have softmatches
in nmap-service-probes, and let teamspeak2-version.nse do the work. If
you can suggest a good softmatch line, I'll commit it.

David Fifield