Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: New IEE Organizationally Unique Identifier: FreeBSD foundation

From: Dario Ciccarone <dciccaro () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:52:43 -0500

You seem to forget that network devices use a global unique MAC address
per interface. So - a 48-port blade on a Cat6K = 48 MAC addresses. Put
five of those on a single chassis = 240 MAC addresses.

And that's just an example. A network vendor can go thru MAC addresses
faster than (many things) :)

dciccaro-mac:temp dciccaro$ egrep "\s+[Cc]isco" oui.txt | wc -l
     994

Divide that by two (due to the file format), multiply by 2^24