Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap/Nping bug on udp checksum calculation

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 14:57:21 -0800

On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 04:15:52PM -0600, Daniel Miller wrote:
On 11/02/2013 05:38 PM, Michael Weber wrote:
Sending UDP data can contain but must not contain a checksum. The checksum,
must be transmitted as all ones if the calculated value is all zero. An all
zero value denotes that no checksum has been calculated (see rfc 768)
In Nmap the checksum is calculated in netutil.cc (ipv4_pseudoheader_cksum)
called from within UDPHeader.cc (UDPHeader::setSum) as a quick search in the
sources revealed.
I think the return value must be checked for zero like it's done in
ipv6_pseudoheader_cksum before it is returned or, if that will lead to some
trouble for TCP  checksum calculation, must be checked in UDPHeader::setSum
before the method returns.
Michael,

Thanks for catching this! I wrote some crappy test code to check how
often this would occur. Given an empty UDP packet from my machine to
scanme.nmap.org with random source and destination ports, a 0x0000
checksum was generated 0.001527% of the time (1 in 65488 chance, so
I'm guessing overall it's closer to 1:65535).

The patch below should fix this. I did a check for everywhere in the
Nmap source that a UDP header's uh_sum attribute was set, and they
all stemmed from ipv6_pseudoheader_cksum and
ipv4_pseudoheader_cksum, so I just copied the check code over. I
also moved the call to ip_cksum_carry() to before the check in both
cases, since that alters the value before the check for +/-0 should
be done.

Please check the code below and let me know if it looks safe to
commit. I'm looking forward to killing this bug!

The patch looks right to me.

What was the effect of sometimes sending a checksum of 0x0000? I assume
the packets were being marked in Wireshark somehow. Were they also being
ignored by targets?

David Fifield