Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap Windows installer includes no documentation

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:51:35 -0700

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM, Jacek Wielemborek
<wielemborekj1 () gmail com>wrote:

Hi,

While playing with Nmap's Windows installer I noticed that there's no
documentation included in it, even if the user selects all available
options. Why is that?

Hi Jacek, good question.  We include the man pages on Linux/UNIX because
it's such a standard method for tool documentation that everyone uses it.
 Windows, AFAIK, doesn't really have such a standard.  The man page nroff
files won't do Windows users much good.  We could include the generated
HTML files which they could read locally with a web browser.  But at that
point they might as well go to the web site and read the latest versions
and in their choice of language.  It's true that the later documentation
might reference features they don't have in an older install of Nmap, but
that can actually be useful in showing the user what they can get if they
upgrade.  Of course the Nmap help screen (nmap -h) is available on all
platforms, and Zenmap on Windows does provide some assistance.  But we
mostly focus on online docs.

Cheers,
Fyodor