Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Protocol Ping Strangness....

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:33:28 -0500

On 09/10/2013 09:10 AM, Tilik Ammon wrote:
Good afternoon,

I am attempting to use the protocol ping option, -PO, and I don't
think that it is acting as intended. Sample output below:

user@deb7-test2-32bit:~$ sudo nmap -PO 89 -pT:22 8.0.0.2
Starting Nmap 6.41SVN ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-09-10 10:08 EDT
setup_target: failed to determine route to 89 (0.0.0.89)
Nmap scan report for 8.0.0.2
Host is up (0.00090s latency).
PORT   STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open  ssh
MAC Address: 00:1A:E3:B2:B3:EA (Cisco Systems)
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.10 seconds
8.0.0.2 is a lab cisco router running ospf in the case of this scan.
The setup_target line seem to be indicating nmap is looking at address
0.0.0.89 rather than protocol 89.

-Tilik

Since your problem was already solved, I will just note that the -P* options require that there be no space between the option (-PO) and the numbers that specify the port or protocol to use. So instead of -PO 89, you should have -PO89.

Dan