Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncat installing on a victim

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 12:35:31 -0500

On 07/09/2013 12:05 PM, Remo the Last wrote:

hello anyone,
just a simple question: ncat must be installed on a system (so have root access) or it can be used automatically once
transfered into the victim?
It is simple. If I dont have a root access, I cannot install ncat and use it as my server. => Use what instead?
I'm wrong?

Thanks
Re

Remo,

ncat works like any other dynamically-linked binary. The required libraries (.so files on Linux) must be present in order for it to run. There is no permission requirement there. If you compiled it statically, it would include all the library code in itself, and not require external libraries.

Some behaviors require root permission: listening on port numbers less than 1024 or spoofing source address, for instance. This requirement is not specific to Ncat; it should affect all programs equally.

Dan