Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Question about scan outputs

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 19:14:25 -0700

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 03:58:37AM +0000, David Maynor wrote:
Has anyone seen this happen before?

Host is up (0.20s latency).
Not shown: 97 filtered ports
PORT   STATE SERVICE VERSION
21/tcp open  ftp?
23/tcp open  telnet  Netgear broadband router or ZyXel VoIP adapter telnetd
80/tcp open  http    Allegro RomPag
er 4.07 UPnP/1.0 (ZyXEL ZyWALL 2)

But when I rerun the scan I getL
PORT   STATE SERVICE VERSION
80/tcp open  http    Allegro RomPager 4.07 UPnP/1.0 (ZyXEL ZyWALL 2)

I looked in wireshark at the caps of the scan and couldn't not find a
reason a banner would be broken up like that. Has anybody see or heard
of this? If not could you point me to the code responsible for the
banner handling/storage/display?

I haven't seen anything like this. Even if there were a newline in the
information returned by the service, it would be escaped before being
written to the screen like this.

Were you running in a terminal or in Zenmap?

The code for this part of the output is in NmapOutputTable.cc and
output.cc.

David Fifield