Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat 6.25: An address incompatible...

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 20:57:33 -0700

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 06:45:49AM -0700, David Millis wrote:
When listening, ncat doesn't fall back on IPv4 when IPv6 isn't available.

# ncat -l -p 1234
Ncat: socket: An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.  QUITTING.

# ncat -lvvn -p 1234
Ncat: Version 6.25 ( http://nmap.org/ncat )
Ncat: Failed to resolve default IPv6 address: No such host is known. . QUITTING.

Thanks for this report. In r31660, I made it so that it is not a fatal
error to fail to open a listening socket, unless all listening addresses
fail to open. The only case where we try to listen on more than one
address is when no listening address is specified, and we try to listen
on IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously.

David Fifield