Nmap Development mailing list archives

Jacek's status report - #9 of 16

From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 01:35:11 +0200

Hi guys,

This is the report 9/16 for the Google Summer of Code project
“Bringing Lua to Ncat”.

This week, most of my work concentrated on the Ncat's NCAT_INPUT_FD,
NCAT_OUTPUT_FD and their Windows counterparts - NCAT_INPUT_PIPE and
NCAT_OUTPUT_PIPE, named differently due to implementation details. I
took two days off, so this time my report covers three days of work
only.

Achievements:

* Got Windows NCAT_INPUT_PIPE/ NCAT_OUTPUT_PIPE finally working! Since
I had trouble using overlapped I/O, my first working prototype
involved using a separate thread for each child process. Now that I
found a warning in the MSDN documentation website, I figured a way to
perform overlapped I/O, which should be way less resource expensive.

* Did a bit of refactoring in the ncat-env-ncatins branch. That
involved removing the pipe_portable, among other things. I already
have an idea for removing some of the #if(n)def's from the patch and
I'm planning to work on it before my meeting with David tomorrow.

* Implemented UTF-8 string validation for the tiny HTTP server.  This
is a security measure that is there to make sure that the OS/libc
doesn't allow directory traversal using overlong UTF-8 sequences for
double dots.

* Sparked up a discussion about my DNS server - David asked me for
strong arguments to merge this toy, so I asked people on the mailing
list if they would use it. I quickly got two responses, which IMHO
suggests that this might be an interesting tool
(http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2013/q3/180). The current Ncat-Lua
functionality limits its potential use cases though - until we figure
out a way to spawn connections from inside of the script, recursive
queries are not possible to implement.

* Ported my test suite that was originally meant for --with feature.
Although it took quite some time, it already pointed me to some
regressions, both under Linux and Windows.

Priorities:

* Prepare the ncat-env-ncatins code for merging - I'd love to make it
ready for merging by next Tuesday, perhaps sooner if possible.

 * (copied from the last report) In case I finished the
ncat-env-ncatin, priorities from the previous week (and two weeks ago)
are still on the map:

        - sketch up a new plugin interface
        - explore the socket abstractions
        - experiment with script stacking