Nmap Development mailing list archives

Yang's status report - #9 of 16

From: "veotax" <hsluoyz () qq com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2013 02:01:33 +0800

Hi everyone,Here's my status report for week #9.
Just now, I had released WinPcap 4.1.4 (a non-official name, also called NPcap 1.0.0) for testing. I have spent nearly
one month to port it from NDIS5.0 to NDIS6.x. It can gain better performance than the official WinPcap (currently 4.1.3
version) under Win7 and Win8 (behaves the same as the old one under XP and Vista). I have rewritten the original NSIS
installation script and packed the new WinPcap 4.1.4 into an EXE package, so you can test it easily. The installation
package is given below:
revision:31636The installer only:https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-20130806/installer/winpcap-nmap-4.1.4.exe
The entire code base:https://svn.nmap.org/nmap-exp/yang/NPcap-20130806
Because the driver has not been signed, so Win7 x64 and Win8 x64 systems will need to disable driver signing
enforcement before installing. You can google "disable driver signing enforcement" for the method, it's very easy and
the only need is a reboot.
I have tested this release under some systems for the basic use of both Nmap and Wireshark, and it works well. But I
don't know if it is enough robust under advanced usages and other systems. I hope that you can find bugs as many as
possible:)
The systems I have tested:Windows 2003 Enterprise with SP2 x86Windows 2003 Enterprise R2 with SP2 x64Windows 7 Ultimate
with SP1 x86Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1 x64Windows 8 Enterprise x86Windows 8 Enterprise x64
Notice: Save your data in case your system suddenly crashes for BSoD.

Accomplishments: * Prepared the dual-machine IEEE1394 kernel debug environment, including finding a new machine as
debuggee, purchasing two PCI-IEEE1394 cards and IEEE1394 data line and setting up the debug environment. Local virtual
machine debugging and serial port debugging are both so slow, so I tried the IEEE1394 way and it works so fast!
* Removed some bugs of the WinPcap driver in adapter binding and packet sending/receiving.
* Wrote the NSIS installation script and constructed the installation package for WinPcap 4.1.4.
* Tested WinPcap 4.1.4 under multiple systems, it works well for now. Priorities: * Buy the driver signing license.
* Try to solve the self-scan problem. * Add the administrator access function for WinPcap 4.1.4. * Have a meeting with
my mentor for the next step.
Cheers, Yang Luo http://veotax.com