Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: ping scan not accurate?

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 08:07:43 +0100

Hi Michael,

Nmap's "ping scan" usually sends a handful of different packets to detect
hosts. But if you're scanning a local subnet Nmap will usually only check
for ARP responses. I suspect you saw false positives as something responded
(possibly with the same MAC address each time?) for every IP.

http://nmap.org/book/man-host-discovery.html

A more accurate approach would need to be taken, such as the ICMP echo scan
you performed and/or port scans. You can use the flag --open so Nmap only
returns results for hosts that have open ports (useful if a firewall is
returning TCP resets for hosts that are really down) and the --reason flag
will tell you what response Nmap saw.

Rob