Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Jacek's status report - #2 of 16

From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 00:25:53 +0200

2013/6/18 David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>:
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:32:54PM +0200, Jacek Wielemborek wrote:
* Develop a working telnet negotiation demo. I believe it will be an
interesting challenge for the current --lua-exec implementation and I
can't wait to start writing the Websocket script!

There might be some confusion here, because Telnet negotiation is not
something that makes sense for --lua-exec. The -t option just causes
Ncat to do things to automatically ignore certain byte patterns that
Telnet servers emit.

Think of --lua-exec this way: You are stuck on Windows and you don't
even have a way to write shell scripts. But Ncat's built-in Lua
interpreter lets you still write interesting little --sh-exec
replacements.

Have you looked at my initial implementation? I estimated the proof of concept
to take more or less three days, it was more like three hours. I like the
explanation you just gave for embedding Lua - it really is a pain to code on
the bare Windows and I do believe that Ncat-Lua could help me there.

And for the telnet negotiation, I understood your point (or at least I think I
do) a while after I wrote that e-mail. I still think that coding it as a --
lua-exec makes a bit of sense though - as an interesting (at least for me)
proof of concept. I already wrote a tiny bit of code, though I didn't commit
it because it's still quite messy (OTOH, it features some stderr debugging
facilities along with a built-in hexdump!).

--lua-exec should not require much implementation. Maybe 200 lines of
new code, not including configure and Makefile. I estimate it will take
only two weeks.

* Add Windows code? Although I definitely don't feel too happy about
it, I'm also convinced it's necessary to port the Lua functionality
sooner or later. My first attempts at cross-compiling Ncat with MinGW
failed, will probably need to work with Henri in order to figure out
how to build Nsock this way. Hopefully Wine will be enough to test the
builds.

This is the supported way:
http://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html#inst-win-source
Hopefully there won't be too much work to be portable. liblua is already
nicely portable, and the hard parts of fork and exec replacements on
Windows have already been figured out.

Sigh, MSVC. I wonder how much work would be needed for MinGW to support it as
well.