Nmap Development mailing list archives

Jacek's status report - #1 of 16

From: Jacek Wielemborek <wielemborekj1 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 00:18:14 +0200

Hi folks,

So, this is my first report on GSoC's „Bringing Lua to Ncat” project.
Here's what I did during the last week:

Accomplishments:

* Configured the SVN client, been playing with git-svn for a while but
I had hard time creating my own branch in nmap-exp using it (IRC guys
from #git didn't help me either, but I hadn't given up yet).

* Created a d33tah/ncat-lua branch in the nmap-exp directory of Nmap's
official SVN server; I based it on the current trunk. I also merged in
my early patches into the branch. I used „svn cp” for that, I hope
it's okay. David already let me know I should split the branch making
into three commits, so expect a bit of spam on the SVN mailing list
when I'll be recreating it;)

* While I was travelling to and from my university, I had been reading
„Subverting the Windows Kernel” and „Metasploit Toolkit for
Penetration Testing” - don't know if it counts, but it actually ate up
most of my time, along with the studies. I'm really close to finishing
the semester though! I passed quite a few tests this week.

* Done a bit of formal stuff – read and signed the copyright
agreement, sent Google all the papers, edited my vimrc according to
the tips from the HACKING file so that my code will hopefully conform
more to Nmap's coding standards (thanks to AlexWebr from IRC for
pointing me there).

* Talked to David for a while. Still waiting for his opinions on my
project's design decisions. ;)

Priorities:

* More preparation stuff – I'd like to invite you all to read and
speak out in this thread: http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2013/q2/189 -
your feedback might prove really useful; I'd prefer to start coding
with a picture as clear as possible.

* Set up an efficient development environment (more vim tweaks,
getting familiar with git+svn or svn alone, I actually started reading
a book on it), though I guess it will keep being adjusted all the
time.

* University work – there's still one project I have to finish so I
could hopefully take the graduation exam next week (David told me it's
okay; don't worry, it won't take too much time and I will make it up
later on).

Yours,
Jacek d33tah Wielemborek