Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap IPv6 functionality partly broken on NetBSD

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 09:25:51 -0700

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 07:45:25PM +0100, Fredrik Pettai wrote:
I haven't followed recent development, but noted that some changes has broken some nmap functionality then running on
NetBSD. All the problems I've found seems to be then running nmap as root.

Here is one example:

# nmap -v -A6 scanme.nmap.org

Starting Nmap 6.01 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-03-23 19:19 CET
NSE: Loaded 93 scripts for scanning.
NSE: Script Pre-scanning.
Target* nexthost(HostGroupState*, const addrset*, scan_lists*, int): failed to determine route to scanme.nmap.org
(2600:3c01::f03c:91ff:fe93:cd19)
QUITTING!

(same problem with the newest stable releaseā€¦)

Thanks for this report. I think it is fixed in r30913.

What was going wrong was the alignment of rt_msghdr structures. On other
platforms the alignments is to either sizeof(unsigned long) or 4 bytes.
In NetBSD 6.1 (the version I tried), it is 8 bytes. Because the sa_len
of sockaddr_in6 is 28, not a multiple of 8, the routing table was being
read with incorrect alignment.

http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/lib/libc/net/getifaddrs.c
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/net/route.h?v=NETBSD#L270

We had to do something similar for NetBSD in r29739.

David Fifield