Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NMAP Error

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem () broadpark no>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 22:05:16 +0200

"David Fifield" <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

2. Try running the command from another (non-Windows) computer, and save
  the output as XML.
    nmap -T4 -A -v 10.220.7.0-254 -oX scan.xml
  Then try opening scan.xml in Zenmap on Windows and see if it crashes.

I also hit this crash (debug-assert) with this command:
 nmap -v -A 10.0.0.1-6

Just before nmap is to report the result for 10.0.0.4 (my Canon printer),
the Debug Assertion box comes up. Analysing this in WinDbg reveals a problem with:

 currenths->scriptResults.sort(scriptid_lessthan);
 (in output.cc / printhostscriptresults).

The stacktrace at this point is:

MSVCP100D!std::_Debug_message+0x23
nmap!std::_Debug_lt_pred<bool +0xf1
nmap!std::list<ScriptResult,std::allocator<ScriptResult> >::merge<bool +0x195
nmap!std::list<ScriptResult,std::allocator<ScriptResult> >::sort<bool +0x234
nmap!printhostscriptresults+0x6e
nmap!nmap_main+0x14ed
nmap!main+0x1ff
nmap!__tmainCRTStartup(void)+0x1bf
nmap!mainCRTStartup(void)+0xf
kernel32!BaseProcessStart+0x23

I'm not sure what the problem is (I don't know STL that well). Maybe
'scriptResults' is not initialised properly? Or it's contents by default is
initialised to something else in MSVC debug-build; I see some values with 0xCDCDCDCD. That's typical in debug-mode.

--gv