Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Revisiting the Nmap Public Source License

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 18:24:36 -0700

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>wrote:

2013/3/27 Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>:

To my understanding, having a project-specific license might have the
following drawbacks:

Well, Nmap already has a project-specific license which is GPLv2 modified
by various clarifications and exceptions.  This new license is similar
(GPLv2 with various exceptions and additions) but has its own name to make
it easier for people to understand that it is different.

That being said, I agree that having our own license (as we do now, and as
would continue with the new license) can be problematic.  It would be
better to find one of the existing open source license which meets our
needs and prevents abuses such as the download.com fiasco.  But GPLv2 by
itself doesn't do it, and I didn't see anything too compelling last time I
looked (5+ years ago).  I'll try to review the other options again, and of
course I'm open to suggestions.  Here is a list of OSI-approved open source
licenses:

http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

Cheers,
Fyodor