Nmap Development mailing list archives

Issue with the network interfaces

From: Prasad Asokan <prasadasokan () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 17:07:55 +0530

Hi All,

While using nmap to discover an asset, if an user switches from ethernet to
wireless, or vice versa, nmap quits saying "failed to determine dst mac
address for target". While we invoke "nmap --iflist", what we observe is,
the disconnected network interface still shows up in the list of
interfaces. To make things work, either one of the following needs to be
done.

i) Disable the disconnected network adapter from the network connections
and re-enabling it helps nmap to pick the right adapter.
ii) Figure out the right adapter from the iflist output and use it to
launch nmap. "nmap -e eth5 10.1.5.1"

Is there a way by which one can force nmap to re-enumerate
available/connected interfaces? Or a windows service that can be restarted
which help nmap find the right adapters in any point in time? Thanks in
advance.

Addition info:

Tried nmap versions 5.61 and 6.25 on Windows 7.

Prasad Asokan