Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: GSOC projects script writer(discovery)

From: david <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 00:18:17 -0700

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:57:09AM +0530, Indula Nayanamith wrote:
On 4/26/13, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 04:02:21PM +0530, Indula Nayanamith wrote:
I am studying at  Department of Computer Science and
engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am interested in
network
and system work. I used a network management tool called nedi[1] which is
collection of perl scripts and I work with the code to tailor it to the
organization i worked during the training period. Nedi had a unique
discovery technique using CDP and LLDP. I worked with network discovery
protocols and we tested some commercial applications like solarwind[2]and
also NMAP to improve nedi and learn mechanisms to use in discovery.From
then, i am interested in network discovery techniques and protocols. I
enjoyed learning about network discovery protocols and techniques. I saw
your scripting position and i would love to work on network discovery
scripts.Also I am good with c programming.
I am confident that with little guidance and smart work i can complete
this
and contribute to nmap community. I went through initial idea and have
some
questions on this
can you give me some ideas on network discovery techniques and protocols
you are interested.

Thanks for your interest. You will want to start by reading the host
discovery section in the Nmap man page.

http://nmap.org/book/man-host-discovery.html

Then I recommend that you look at some of the scripts that do network
discovery.

http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-echo.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-invalid-dst.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-mld.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-slaac.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/broadcast-dhcp-discover.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/broadcast-dhcp6-discover.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/broadcast-dns-service-discovery.html

David Fifield

Hi david,
I worked on your guidelines and I am interested in neighbor discovery
using LLDP and CDP[1].I worked on this when i study network discovery
tool called nedi[2]. Using LLDP we can get details about remote host i
have given MIB details here[3]
also i am interested in IPv6 because ip am doing my final year project
on XLAT[4] which is related to IPv6 deployment. Can you point me to
new script ideas related to IPv6.

You can search https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Script_Ideas for "IPv6", but
there doesn't appear to be much. There is also
https://secwiki.org/w/GSoC_community_ideas#New_IPv6_OS_scan_features.

and how many script ideas do we need to include in our proposal

It depends on how big the scripts are and how long you expect them to
take. Estimate how much time you think you will spend doing different
kinds of scripts. We are looking for creative ideas that will take a
full summer.

and do i need to give a initial script i wish to implement

You don't have to. Some applicants do.

David Fifield