Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Use of nmap.fetchfile in scripts

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 07:17:54 -0500

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>wrote:

However, I am surprised that apparently so many scripts are using
fetchfile() for arbitrary file paths.  When I wrote it it was only intended
for finding Nmap files (cf. r6637 and r6638)--so it does indeed make better
sense to use it for that.

I'm too lazy to find the current docs for fetchfile(), but maybe they were
rewritten and they are now misleading?

Kris,

Thanks for the clarification. I changed the luadoc for nmap.fetchfile (
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/nmap.html#fetchfile) to stress that it only
searches Nmap's search paths (r30804) and updated several scripts to allow
searching local and absolute paths, preserving their original search order
first, to avoid breaking backwards compatibility (r30803, r30805).

I haven't looked at any library args, but I would guess they are more
likely to be correct. I may look at those later.

Dan