Nmap Development mailing list archives

CRT-libs on MSVC

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem () broadpark no>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:47:53 +0100

CHANGELOG says:
 ..
 (0xc0150002)." with Nmap 4.65.  A related change is that Nmap on
 Windows is now compiled with /MD rather than /MT so that it
 consistently uses these runtime libraries.  The patch was created by
 Rob Nicholls.

When was that changed? The mswin32/nmap.vcxproj currently specifies
'/MT' and '/MTd'. Multithreaded, link with libcmt[d].lib. AFAICS.

And to add to my confusion, according to:
 http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#PROG2
..
If you are using Microsoft Visual C++'s IDE (Visual Studio), in many cases, your new project most likely defaulted to "Debug Singlethreaded" - /ML. This is NOT interchangeable with /MD and your program will crash, typically on the first BIO related read or write operation.

So since OpenSSL apparently uses '/MD', why don't nmap and friends? I mean, what bad could happen if we drop this openssl/applink.c shim in ncat.exe? (why isn't applink.c used in the other programs?).
Can somebody clarify?

I've looked at the OpenSSL uplink/applink hackery and understood
next to nothing. Grr. I'd which everybody jumped over to PolarSSL.
To quote from polarssl.org:
.. PolarSSL offers an SSL library with an intuitive API and readable source code, so you can actually understand what the code does.

I can't argue with that.

--gv