Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Refactoring changes to target parsing

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 13:36:40 -0800

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 03:30:52PM -0600, Daniel Miller wrote:
I think another appropriate direction would be to extend the
"targets" NSE library to allow the creation of these NetBlock
subclasses, so that scripts that have "newtargets" functionality can
add net blocks, not just individual addresses. If both our ideas get
implemented, then we're in the beautiful world where NSE scripts can
be used to quickly implement and test functionality to be imported
into core Nmap at a later time.

We are already in this world, are we not? I mean, you can already do
        target.add("192.168.0.0/24")
        target.add("fe80::/64")
and those targets will be parsed into NetBlocks (formerly TargetGroups).

What we don't have is a way to pass such structures to NSE for host
discovery or port scanning. Anyway, for this feature it matters little,
because the targets-ipv6-multicast scripts already have as much
prototyping as we're going to do on those ideas.

David Fifield