Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Integration of lpeg withing NSE

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:18:26 -0800

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 11:05:26AM +0530, Harsh Shah wrote:
Currently I have been working on simple xml parsing script for NSE. So I
want to integrate lpeg library with our current NSE environment in my linux
pc. I downloaded and installed nmap through svn repository. I think it
should be somewhat simple to integrate. But since i am a newbie i don't
want to mess it up. So please help!

There have been some previous efforts aimed at getting LPeg into NSE.

https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Script_Ideas#XML_and_HTML_parsing
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2010/q1/777
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q2/1281
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q3/25

But there hasn't been any discussion about it lately. My feeling is that
we have been looking for a good use for LPeg. An XML parsing library
would meet that description. See one of the threads above for a list of
sample use cases for such a library.

P.S: lpeg was initially not working with lua5.2. So I downgraded to 5.1 and
now it's fine. If this is of any concerns.

It has to work with the version of Lua we ship (5.2), or we can't use
it.

David Fifield