Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Version Detection] SSL only ports - softmatch

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 16:44:15 -0800

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 05:49:28PM -0600, Tom Sellers wrote:
All,
      Lines 6605 and 6606 of the nmap-service-probes file match when a HTTP server generates a response that
indicates that a client should connect using SSL such as the following:

<title>400 Bad Request</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Bad Request</h1>
Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.<br />
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.<br />

In the case above the device is not directing the client to connect via SSL on a different port, but to the same port
using SSL.

Unfortunately this stops further version detection via SSL that might actually fingerprint the service.  I have a
case like this in my lab now where converting 6605 and 6606 to a softmatch will permit
correct identification of the service.

I would like to change both 6605 and 6606 to softmatches.  I don't forsee any negative impacts but I wanted to see if
anyone had any thoughts on this.
If approved I will submit the change in a commit that adds an fingerprint for a device where some versions respond
similar to the above.

Looks good to me, go ahead.

Is it really Apache, as nmap-service-probes claims?

David Fifield