Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: another nmap script to deal with mtu

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 02:52:20 -0800

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 04:55:51PM +0100, globoudou () free fr wrote:
I have to deal with MTU negotiation on private WAN, so I use this
script which purpose is to discover MTU on path to target (intercept
fragmentation request from router) and after verify if a ping with the
max payload is OK (if the response size is the same as the request
size).

It's a little bit different than the path-mtu script in the return
informations and it is based only on icmp-echo-request.

Thank you for sending this script. I'm having trouble understanding how
it differs from path-mtu. Can you explain it more?

Can you show an example of path-mtu's output and your script's output
for the same target, and highlight the parts that are different or
added?

Could what this script does be implemented as a patch to path-mtu?

David Fifield