Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: RFC: proxy support w/o target name resolution

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 22:29:01 -0800

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 02:04:45PM +0100, Henri Doreau wrote:
We could invent a structure that is a subset of what Target holds.
Basically, a host name and an IP address. Either field could be omitted.
If we are doing all name resolution through a proxy, the IP address will
never be filled in; the host name is the only information we will give
the proxy. Then there can be convenience functions, one like the current
nsock_connect that takes a sockaddr, and another that takes a string
that is a host name (or string representation of an IP address).

Yes, I like this approach. If I understand correctly what you're
proposing, the target object should be defined and managed by the
caller, right? What about having a semi-opaque nsock_target object
that would be passed to the library (à la nsock_iod)? I'd find this
nicer. Any pro/con?

This works for me.

David Fifield