Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 6.0x crash with ipv6 traceroute

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 14:28:25 -0700

On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 12:14:06AM +0200, Pierre Emeriaud wrote:
I've been able to crash nmap 6.00 and 6.01 consistently, when
performing the traceroute after an udp scan on an ipv6 host.

- Several targets have been tested, through different interfaces and networks.
- Scanning without -sU does not make nmap crash

Thanks for this report. It turns out that this was an assertion failure,
tripped because IPv6 traceroute using UDP, SCTP, or IP protocol probes
was not supported.

I changed the check to prohibit these types of probes from trying to run
for IPv6. But because all the infrastructure is in place, it was easy to
add support for these probes, which I did in followign commits.

David Fifield