Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: "dnet: Failed to open device" errors on AIX, as root

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 03:08:33 -0800

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 02:44:08PM -0500, Ben Lentz wrote:
Here's the latest from IBM; it sounds like 0x0800 is loaded for any
interface that is in an up status and therefore NMAP cannot also call
this type. David found another bug reported against AIX where the type
needed to be changed to 0; which I did, but it did not resolve the
problem.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

The earlier patch that Ben is referring to is this one from Peter
O'Gorman:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q4/349
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q4/353
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q4/att-353/aix.patch
https://code.google.com/p/libdnet/issues/detail?id=23

I've just applied the part of the patch that causes
sa.sndd_8022_ethertype to be set to 0 rather than ETH_TYPE_IP. That
worked for Peter but not for Ben.

It might help if you can try to compile and run this example code from
IBM. If its bind works, but that of eth-ndd.c doesn't, then we can
identify what the important differences are.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v6r1/topic/com.ibm.aix.progcomm/doc/progcomc/skt_sndother_ex.htm

David Fifield