Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Nmap got a wrong result in windows 2003

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 13:29:39 -0000

Hi,

I think David may have been confused into thinking two different people were
talking about the same bug, as the original emails you sent had the name
"rirong zhu", but your recent couple of emails now say "Jarett" (the email
address is the same for all of the emails).

David, I think the subnets aren't being determined correctly when there's
more than one IP address assigned to an interface. I've just checked a
Windows 7 host that has two IP addresses running over the same interface (a
workaround on a test network due to a lack of spare physical interfaces, not
something I'd normally do) and instead of showing the correct subnet of /25
it's showing a subnet of /24 (which matches the subnet of the second IP
address assigned to the interface). It looks like the subnet is correctly
identified/shown in the ROUTES output (for me and Jarett), but is incorrect
under the INTERFACES output.

If we were to assume that the subnet mask should be /28 for 115.236.23.45
instead of /29 I suspect it'll work as Nmap should know it can reach
115.236.23.33 directly (instead of trying to route it through 115.236.23.45,
which is probably why we're seeing "localhost" issues).

Jarett, as a workaround, it may be possible for Nmap to work if the second
IP (i.e. 124.160.125.118) is removed from the interface, assuming you're
able to do that.

Rob