Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap in the research area

From: Weilin Xu <mzweilin () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:34:59 +0800

Hi all,

We have got the impression of Nmap in the movies and the news from Nmap.org
website, but does anyone have the list of outstanding papers those
utilizing Nmap in their research?

I noticed the best paper of USENIX Security Symposium 2012, "Mining Your Ps
and Qs: Widespread Weak Keys in Network Devices", mentioned Nmap in their
work. The authors used Nmap to scan hosts with port 22 and 443 opened, then
discovered the incredible widespread weak keys in network devices after the
clever and detailed analysis.

View the paper:
https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/usenixsecurity12/sec12-final228.pdf
View the slides:
https://www.usenix.org/sites/default/files/conference/protected-files/durumeric_usenixsecurity12_slides.pdf
View the video:
https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity12/mining-your-ps-and-qs-detection-widespread-weak-keys-embedded-devices

Then I was curious about how many outstanding research work had utilized
Nmap, so I turned to Google Scholar. However, it seems it couldn't give a
satisfactory answer. Actually, it even lists the ridiculous paper published
by Hackin9 media (which Fyodor had forward to the Honeynet list) in the
first place when specified the keywords "USENIX Nmap scan".

--
Regards,
Weilin Xu 许伟林