Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Piping files to ncat under MacOS/BSD

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 00:26:48 -0800

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:55:30PM +0200, Henri Doreau wrote:
I just noticed that ncat an inconsistent behavior in ncat when
switching between the different nsock engines.

shell1:~$ ncat -l localhost 8080

shell2:~$ ncat --nsock-engine=select localhost 8080 < /etc/hosts #
exit after transfer
shell2:~$ ncat --nsock-engine=poll localhost 8080 < /etc/hosts # exit
after transfer
shell2:~$ ncat --nsock-engine=kqueue localhost 8080 < /etc/hosts #
hangs after transfer

kevent() is kind enough to tell how far we are from EOF on vnodes and
it should be easy to report EOF conditions to the caller. I'll
unfortunately lack time to do it during the next few days but wanted
to report it and provide initial information about this bug.

Is this something that should be handled in Nsock (when at EOF, make the
iod readable, so that the reading callback can notice the EOF), or in
some code that is specific to Ncat and kqueue?

David Fifield